Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], August 31 (ANI): Nationalist Congress Party (SP) MP Supriya Sule on Sunday urged the BJP-led Mahayuti government to convene a special Assembly session to resolve the Maratha quota issue.
Sule appealed to the state government to uphold its slogan of ‘Sabka Sath Sabka Vikas.’
“I have been demanding that there should be a dialogue in a democracy. The (state) government has received such a huge mandate. I humbly request that the Chief Minister and the two Deputy Chief Ministers of Maharashtra convene an assembly session and take a decision immediately. ‘Sabka Saath Sabka Vishwas’ is their own line, right?” Sule told reporters.
Earlier in the day, Mumbai Police allowed Maratha activist Manoj Jarange Patil to continue his protest at Azad Maidan for another day.
Patil, on a hunger strike for three days, has vowed not to drink water until his demand for a 10 per cent reservation for Marathas under the OBC category is accepted.
The agitation has mounted pressure on the Mahayuti government, which has formed a 10-member ministerial committee led by Maharashtra Minister Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil to hold talks with stakeholders.
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar said the state government is working on a “war footing” to resolve the issue.
The opposition Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) has extended support to the protest.
Nationalist Congress Party (SP) chief Sharad Pawar suggested a constitutional amendment to lift the 50 per cent cap on reservation, a view echoed by Shiv Sena (UBT) MP Sanjay Raut.
Dy CM Ajit Pawar, however, took a dig at Sharad Pawar, pointing out that leaders raising such suggestions had themselves been in the government for a long time. “Those who are speaking now have themselves been in government for a long time, so please don’t force us to get into all those things. All of them are respected and experienced leaders,” Pawar told reporters in Pune earlier.
Sanjay Raut targeted Union Home Minister Amit Shah, saying he should personally meet Manoj Jarange Patil. “The entire issue of reservations falls under the purview of the Home Ministry. He should leave his ego and take responsibility,” Raut told reporters in Mumbai. Raut further stated that it was the responsibility of Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to end the protest and speak directly with Jarange Patil at Azad Maidan.
Jarange Patil has been pressing to include all Marathas under the Kunbi category, a sub-caste classified under the OBC category, which will help the community avail of the benefits of reservation in government jobs and education.
Earlier, while addressing supporters on Friday, Patil accused the Mahayuti government of failing to address the community’s demands. “If the government enters our territory, the Marathas will enter theirs. If you cause us trouble, we will cause you trouble when we come there,” he warned.
Deputy CM Eknath Shinde defended the government’s efforts and accused the opposition of politicising the agitation. (ANI)
Disclaimer: This story is auto-generated from a syndicated feed of ANI; only the image & headline may have been reworked by News Services Division of World News Network Inc Ltd and Palghar News and Pune News and World News
HINDI, MARATHI, GUJARATI, TAMIL, TELUGU, BENGALI, KANNADA, ORIYA, PUNJABI, URDU, MALAYALAM
For more details and packages
