Russian President Vladimir Putin expected to address nation soon, says state media – World News Network

Date:

Moscow [Russia], June 24 (ANI): Russian President Vladimir Putin is scheduled to deliver a televised address to the nation “soon,” state news agency TASS reported citing Kremlin Spokesman Dmitry Peskov.
“Indeed, Putin will deliver an address shortly,” Peskov said in response to a question as reported by TASS.
The news follows claims of the Wagner private military group taking military control of a Russian city, reported CNN.
Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin has said that his forces have taken control of military facilities in Rostov-on-Don and of the airfield as well.
According to the CNN, Prigozhin has in a series of messages on Telegram accused the Russian forces of striking a Wagner military camp and killing a “a huge amount” of his fighters.
A CNN report said that Prigozhin in a video posted on the Wagner official Telegram channel stated, “We are at headquarters at 7:30 a.m. Military facilities in Rostov, including the airfield are under [our] control.”
“Planes that leave for combat work leave as usual no problems. Medical flights are leaving as usual. All we did was to take control so that the attack aviation would not strike us but strike in the Ukrainian direction,” he added.
Prigozhin said he is in Rostov-on-Don and his men are not stopping the officers from carrying out their duties.
“The main headquarters, the main control point is working as normal, there are no problems. No officers have been cut off,” Prigozhin said, CNN reported.
Earlier, Prigozhin said that his men had crossed the border from Ukraine into Russia and were ready to go “all the way” against the Russian military.
As a long-running standoff between Prigozhin and the military top brass appeared to come to a head, Russia’s FSB security service opened a criminal case against him, TASS news agency said. It called on the Wagner private military company forces to ignore his orders and arrest him.
The move came not long after the Kremlin accused Prigozhin of calling for armed mutiny.
Prigozhin, whose frequent tirades on social media belie his limited role in the war as head of the Wagner private militia, has for months been openly accusing Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu and Russia’s top general, Valery Gerasimov, of rank incompetence and of denying his forces ammunition and support, reported CBC News.
Prigozhin urged Russians to join his forces and punish Moscow’s military leadership in the most audacious challenge to President Vladimir Putin since the start of the offensive in Ukraine last year. (ANI)


Disclaimer: This story is auto-generated from a syndicated feed of ANI; only the image & headline may have been reworked by News Services Division of World News Network Inc Ltd and Palghar News and Pune News and World News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

PM Modi unveils several development projects worth Rs 35,700 crore in Jharkhand – World News Network

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday unveiled development projects worth more than Rs 35,700 crore, an initiative focused on the fertiliser, rail, power, and coal sectors in Jharkhand.

“Mamata have set a standard of appeasement”: Giriraj Singh on suspension of Shahjahan Shiekh for 6 years by TMC – World News Network

"Mamata Banerjee saved Shahjahan in such a manner that no sections of women harassment have been registered against him. You have set a standard of appeasement. You took a long time to arrest him. For votes and appeasement, you are saving people like Shahjahan and allowing such people to play with the dignity of Hindu women," said Union Minister Giriraj Singh.

Delhi HC stays opening of liquor vend after RWA plea – World News Network

The Delhi High Court on Friday stayed the opening of Liquor Vend in the Janakpuri area of Delhi on a plea moved by the Residential Welfare Association of B2C block Janakpuri.

Bombay HC extends Sameer Wankhede’s relief from arrest till March 27 – World News Network

The Bombay High Court on Friday extended the relief from arrest given to former Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) Mumbai Zonal Director Sameer Wankhede till March 27 in connection with a money laundering case.
[calling-iframe]
Send this to a friend